Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Spring Break, Part 3

 
Sunday was our last day with the kids as we had to head back home.  We spent the morning with them and their/our church family at Elevate Church, Vancouver WA.  After a great morning worship service we went back to the kids place for some really yummy homemade chicken noodle soup. 
 
After lunch it was time for us to head out.  I hate leaving the kids and I always feel like I leave a piece of my heart with them.  It never get easy to leave but it is a part of life we all deal with.
 
We headed out at 2:00 PM in a down pour of rain. 
My sweetie and I always trade off driving about every 2 hours so we don't get over tired.  I started out and he took over in Eugene and guess what it was still raining.  While he drives I knit and he reads or plays games while I drive.  I gave Patty a call to let her know we would be arriving at her place some time between 9 and 10 PM.  My sweetie drove for a while and now it was time for a coffee break.  So we stopped at Dutch Brother's in Grants Pass, I got a Skinny Hazelnut Latte w/Cinnamon Powder steamed in the milk (Yummy) and my sweetie got an Extra Hot Mocha, changed drivers and hit the road again. 

I was driving along singing with Allison Krauss when my sweetie said, "You know I feel really good right now so what do you think about driving on home tonight?"  Me, sure I said let's do it but we need to call Patty.  So my sweetie called Patty and explained that we had decided to drive on home.  Of course I know she thought we were crazy to do this but gave us her blessings.  We also let the kids know what we were doing.  As our daughter put,  "You crazy kids be careful!"  Decision is now made so we are off on an all night drive adventure.

Our drive really turned into an adventure.  It is, of course, still raining and we started up the Siskiyou Pass it starts to spit snow and by the time we get to the summit it is now really snowing. 
 
We continue our drive on in to Yreka as I have been anticipated the dinner we are going to have at this great little restaurant "Grandma's House" and they have a really neat gift shop.  Pulled into the parking lot and went inside to be told sorry but we just closed.  Needless to say I was a little disappointed, especially not getting to shop, so we got back in the car, back on I-5 and took the next off ramp and had dinner at Black Bear Diner.  Dinner was okay but it definitely wasn't Grandma's House.
 
After dinner we continue our drive up through the Mt. Shasta area.  Yep you guessed it!  The rain once again turned into snow, really heavy snow.  I definitely was ready for Gary to drive for a while when we pulled into Red Bluff.  Filled the car up with gas and got a couple of really strong coffee for the road and we were off again.
 
The rain continued off and on all the way down I-5 and even on the 99.  I took over driving again in Modesto and we continued on, in the rain, and arrived home at 4:30 AM Monday morning.  We were two tired people and decided that sleep was in order.  Needless to say nothing much got done yesterday as we slept until noon, had some lunch and rested the rest of the day.
 
All in all our Spring Break Vacation was great.  We enjoyed the time we had we the kids and are already planning our next trip up this summer for our beautiful granddaughter's 16th birthday. 
 
 
Rumor has it that my sweetie is taking us all to Maui!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment