Sunday, April 14, 2013

Living Water

 
7 When a Samaritan woman came to draw water, Jesus said to her, “Will you give me a drink?” 8 (His disciples had gone into the town to buy food.)  9 The Samaritan woman said to him, “You are a Jew and I am a Samaritan woman. How can you ask me for a drink?” (For Jews do not associate with Samaritans.)  10 Jesus answered her, “If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water.”  11 “Sir,” the woman said, “you have nothing to draw with and the well is deep. Where can you get this living water? 12 Are you greater than our father Jacob, who gave us the well and drank from it himself, as did also his sons and his livestock?”  13 Jesus answered, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, 14 but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”  John 4:7-14
 
The story of the Woman from Samaria has always been a favorite of mine.  When I was a teenager my BFF and I sang a song, Everywhere He Went, in church that told her story.  I often wonder why people can't believe and accept the gospel story as she did.  Christ simply told her about the gift of God, living water, that was hers for the asking.  She accepted this gift and quickly, I mean quickly, told others about His gift of living water.  She wasn't concerned about her lack of knowledge or what others would think of her.  She wanted to share the good news with all she came in contact with.  Why, oh why do we hesitate when it comes to telling others about out Lord Jesus Christ?
 
Will you share the good news of Jesus?  There is an old song that I dearly love that I would like to share with you.
 
I Love To Tell The Story
by Arabella K. Hankey, 1866
 
I love to tell the story of unseen things above,
Of Jesus and His glory, of Jesus and His love;
I love to tell the story, because I know ’tis true,
It satisfies my longings as nothing else would do.

I love to tell the story,
’Twill be my theme in glory,
To tell the old, old story
Of Jesus and His love.
 
I love to tell the story, more wonderful it seems
Than all the golden fancies of all our golden dreams;
I love to tell the story, it did so much for me,
And that is just the reason I tell it now to thee.
 
I love to tell the story, ’tis pleasant to repeat,
What seems each time I tell it more wonderfully sweet;
I love to tell the story, for some have never heard
The message of salvation from God’s own holy Word.
 
I love to tell the story, for those who know it best
Seem hungering and thirsting to hear it like the rest;
And when in scenes of glory I sing the new, new song,
’Twill be the old, old story that I have loved so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment