Friday, September 16, 2011

Morning Has Broken


Awake, my soul!
Awake, harp and lyre!
I will awaken the dawn.
 I will praise you, Lord, among the nations;
I will sing of you among the peoples.
Psalm 57:8-9

This morning as I was walking I took a look around me at the beautiful surroundings.  There is this little park near where I live and that is where I walk each morning.  I see the same thing each morning but never really stop to take it all in.  There is an abundance of green grass, trees, shrubs, and a play area for the little ones.  In the evenings the park is full as families come out and watch their children play soccer, football, etc.  But this morning I felt God was telling me stop for a moment and really look around me.  Look at what He created for my pleasure.  So I did just that.

With fall just around the corner there was a crispness in the air this morning and I was not the only one walking.  There is a group of "seasoned citizens" who arrive each morning at 7:30 and they each have a little dog.  This is a social time for them as they take their time walking their little dogs and visiting with each other.  The dogs were also having a great time playing together.  I could hear the birds chirping as I continued my walk.   I could see the mountains in the distance, some still with snow even this late in the year.  As I was walking I thought of a hymn we sang in church when I a little girl and I could not help but hum it to myself as I walked along. 

Morning has broken like the first morning,
Blackbird has spoken like the first bird,
Praise for the singing!  Praise for the morning!
Praise for them springing fresh from the Word!

Mine is the sunlight!  Mine is the morning,
Born of the one light Eden saw play!
Praise with elation, praise every morning,
God's recreation of the new day! 
Elenor Farjeon, 1931

So today as you go about your normal routines, stop for a moment and take a look around your surroundings.  You will see God's hand in everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment