Saturday, January 6, 2018

Our Prayer Requests


In the morning, O Lord, you hear my voice, in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation. Psalm 5:3

Sometimes do you feel like you are repeating the same prayer request over and over with no results?  I know I have.  We pray asking God to help us through a difficult situation, to heal a family member or a friend, to give us this new job that will make everything easier, to give us this new home, and the list goes on and on.  We forget that when we ask God to intervene that we need to give total control of whatever it is to Him.  Sometimes our prayers aren't really for whatever the situation is but to give it lip service to make us feel better.  After all we told that person that we would pray for them.  We ask and we ask without taking the time to actually seek God and His will for our lives or the situation.  We live in an I want it now society and don't want to wait for anything.

God's Word tells us, "Be still and know that I am God, Psalm 46:10."  What that means to me is that after I have made my requests know to God, I need to sit a spell, in quiet meditation, and listen to the still small voice of God.  After all He took the time to listen to me, now I need to take the time to listen to Him.

Father God help me to remember to sit for a moment and listen.  Help me seek your counsel for whatever situation I am facing, and to place it in your hands.  Father God help me to remember to come to you before I start my day, for guidance and direction for the path you would have me take.  Amen

Sweet Hour of Prayer
by William W. Walford

Sweet hour of prayer, sweet hour of prayer,
That calls me from a world of care, 
And bid me at my Father's throne
Make all my wants and wishes known.
In seasons of distress and grief
My soul has often found relief,
And often escaped the tempter's snare
By thy return, sweet hour of prayer

Sweet hour of prayer, sweet hour of prayer,
Thy wings shall my petition bear
To Him whose truth and faithfulness
Engage the waiting soul to bless:
And since He bids me seek His face, 
Believe His Word, and trust His grace,
I'll cast on Him my every dare,
And wait for thee, sweet hour of prayer.


No comments:

Post a Comment