Thursday, May 22, 2014

God's Joy

If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you ,
ask whatever you wish, and it shall be done for you.
John 15:7

When I first read this verse I took it to mean that whatever I asked God for He would give it to me but then when I went back and read it in context that is not what it means.  

If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be My disciples. Just as the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you; abide in My love. 10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love. 11 These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full. John 15:7-11

To me what this verse means is that I need to stay grounded in God's Word,  I need to memorize His Word and keep it in my heart, I need to tell others about His Son, our Savior Jesus Christ.  I need to keep the commandments God has given and I need to abide in His love and to love others as He has loved me.  When I do this I will have joy unspeakable and that joy will be God's joy overflowing into all areas of my life and I will find that I have everything I need.

Dwelling In Beulah Land
by Austin Miles, 1911

Far away the noise of strife upon my ear is falling.
Then I know the sins of earth beset on every hand.
Doubt and fear and things of earth in vain to me are calling.
None of these shall move me from Beulah Land.

I'm living on the mountain, underneath a cloudless sky.
I'm drinking at the fountain that never shall run dry.
O yes! I'm feasting on the manna from a bountiful supply,
For I am dwelling in Beulah Land.

No comments:

Post a Comment