Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Roots

 
Blessed is the one
who does not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners take
or sit in the company of mockers,
but whose delight is in the law of the Lord,
and who meditates on his law day and night.
That person is like a tree planted by streams of water,
which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither—
whatever they do prospers.
Psalm 1:1-3
 
This was my scripture for today and as I was reading I thought this is how I want to be.  I want to be like that tree planted by the water with my roots growing deep in God's Word.  I don't want to be weak and wither and I want to plant seeds that grow into larger trees.  I want to do what God's calls me to do.
 
I have also been reading "Fruit Lovers to Go" daily devotions by Beth Reinke.  I love this little book.
This mornings devotion was "A Measure of Faith" and talked about faith; what it is and what it isn't.  Beth states, "Faith is a deep down confidence that God watches over us and that He has our best interest at heart and has a plan for our lives."  She also states "that we can use the quiet times in our faith journey for preparation - like a fruit tree during winter.  The tree appears inactive and looks half dead but deep in the ground, the roots are soaking up nutrients and water, strengthening and preparing it for further growth."
 
So let's be like a tree and during the calm, winter like times in life, allow our roots to go deeper, soaking up knowledge about God and tending to our prayer life.  When hard times strike, and the will, our stronger faith will sustain us and prepare us for further growth.
 
If life is treating you good right now, Praise God and take the opportunity to grow your roots and strengthen your faith.  If things are tough and you have hit a bump in the road, take comfort knowing that God is with you and He will help you over the bump.
 
I am the light of the world.  So if you follow Me, you won't be stumbling through the darkness, for living light will flood your path.  John 8:12
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment