Thursday, April 14, 2016

The Dogwood Tree

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 
John 3:16

There is an old legend that the wood from a Dogwood Tree was used to make the cross Christ died on for us.  It is a beautiful poem but the Bible does not state what kind of wood was used.  Although the author of the poem is unknown I like to think that it was something that daily reminded him/her of the blood Christ shed for us.  Just as you and I have things in our lives that have a special meaning to us and our relationship with Christ I'm sure this poem was to him/her.

The Legend of the Dogwood

Dogwood white flower blooming in April in Missouri “When Christ was on earth, the dogwood grew
To a towering size with a lovely hue.
Its branches were strong and interwoven,
And for Christ's cross its timbers were chosen.
“Being distressed at the use of the wood,
Christ made a promise which still holds good:
'Never again shall the dogwood grow
To be large enough for a tree, and so,
Slender and twisted it shall always be,
With cross-shaped blossoms for all to see.
“'The petals shall have bloodstains marked brown,
And in the blossom's center a thorny crown.
All who see it will think of me,
Nailed to a cross from a dogwood tree.
Protected and cherished this tree shall be,
A reflection to all of my agony.'”

Now you know the legend and whenever you see a Dogwood Tree it will remind you of what Christ did for you.

Thank you Father God for sending your Son and His willingness to shed His blood for me.  Amen

And Can It Be That I Should Gain?
by Charles Wesley, 1738

And can it be that I should gain
An interest in the Savior's blood?
Died He for me, who caused His pain
For me, who Him to death pursued?
Amazing Love! How can it be,
That Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?



No comments:

Post a Comment