Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Spring Break 2012 in the Pacific Northwest

We had such a wonderful time over Spring Break with our kids. 

Thursday, March 29, we headed out for Vancouver, WA at 4:30 AM.  It was an absolutely beautiful day here in the San Joaquin Valley.  We had checked the weather forecast for our drive to Washington and it was as forecasted and ran into rain just south of Redding, CA.  We had intended to stop in Redding and surprise my BFF Patty by taking her out to lunch but she had a luncheon she was already committed to.  So we chatted for a while on the phone and continued our rainy drive to Vancouver.  We are very thankful that it was rain and not snow as it rained all the way to Vancouver.  In the higher elevations there was snow along the road way but roads were clear.  Two very tired travelers arrived at the kids place at 8:30 PM that evening. 

Friday, March 30, we rested while the Burgess clan worked and went to school.

Saturday, March 21, morning we headed out for Spanaway, WA to visit with Gary's Mom, his brother Jimmie and Liz his wife.  Stephen was not able to go as he was sick with a really bad cold and did not want to share it with Grandma Smith.  It was great visiting with them and we had a delicious lunch of beans and ham that Liz had prepared.  We spent the afternoon visiting and catching up on what is going on in all our lives.  Around 4:30 PM we headed back to Vancouver and took the back way home.  Oh what a beautiful drive.  The sun was shining and it was absolutely beautiful.  You could see Mt. Rainer in all her splendor. 

 Once we were back on I-5 it started to cloud up and rain.  I drove through one of the worst hail storms I have ever driven in.

When we arrived back home it was time to head out to the Neff's place for a birthday party.

Sunday, April 1, was God's day and we headed for a time of worship with the kids at Elevate Church, Vancouver, WA.  Pastor Steve has been doing a sermon series "Perfect God, Imperfect Me".  Great sermon and then we spent the rest of the day relaxing as a family.

Monday, April 2, spring break officially started and Awbrey slept in until 12:00 noon while Gary and I spent the day relaxing.

Tuesday, April 3, was another relaxing day.  The only exception was Gary went to get some new windshield wipers for the car as the others weren't working properly.  Also picked him up some medicine as he was catching a cold.

Wednesday, April 4, was the first day of Marianne's vacation and the three of us, Marianne, Awbrey and me, headed to Portland to do some shopping.  The only person that really shopped was Awbrey as she needed some jeans.  She has gotten so tall that hers were all to short.  After a time of shopping we decided to stop and get some lunch, yummy tacos that is.  The three of us had forgotten that we were having tacos for dinner.  Oh well tacos are good any time!!!

Thursday, April 5, was the 1st day of Stephen's vacation and we spent the morning relaxing.  Stephen is over his cold, Gary is on the mend and now Marianne isn't feeling well.  That afternoon Awbrey, Stephen and Gary headed out to a movie "The Hunger Games."  Awbrey had already seen it but wanted to take her Daddy and Papa to see it.  Awbrey has all 3 of the Hunger Games books and Gary read the 1st book before going to see the movie.  While they were at the movies Marianne and I did a little shopping for Easter goodies.

Friday, April 6, was a down day for Marianne.  She woke up not feeling well at all and spent the day on the couch with a blanket over her.  I did our laundry and straighten the house for Marianne while Gary starting reading the second book of the Hunger Games series.  That afternoon Stephen and Awbrey headed out to spend time together at the driving range.  Awbrey is on the Golf Team at Skyview and Stephen is over joyed.  The two of them get to spend some real quality time together at the driving range and on the golf course.

Saturday, April 7, we headed out to Farmer's Market in Vancouver.  Stopped on our way there and had breakfast at Starbucks and then on to the market.  Gary and I saw a couple of things, a folding bench, garden angel and a covered casserole dish, that we would love to have brought but just did not have the extra cash.

After our morning at Farmer's Market it was time for some egg coloring.  So the Neff, Shaw-Atchley, Burgess and Richards families all got together to color eggs.  We all met at Richard & Amy's place and had a great time coloring eggs. 
The egg coloring was finished and it was time for dinner so we ordered in Maui Zowie, Pepperoni and Cheese pizzas for everyone.  All I can say is the Maui Zowie is absolutely wonderful!!! 

Easter Sunday, April 8, oh what a glorious day, the day set aside to celebrate the resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!  We attended worship service with Marianne, Stephen and Awbrey and what a great service.  The music was wonderful and Pastor Steve's sermon was great.  After church we headed home to finish preparing the dishes we were taking to the Neff's for a great afternoon of familyship time.  We have come to think of Richard, Amy, and their girls as family.

Amy's Mom and Dad, her brothers and their families joined us for lunch.  Everyone brought their favorite dishes to share and everything was absolutely delicious.  After lunch we all headed to the back yard for egg hunting time.

It was a beautiful bright sun shiny day to be outdoors in their beautiful yard.  Richard and Amy had hidden eggs for all the kids.  The eggs were color coordinated with the color basket they had for each of them.  Even the teenagers had a great time looking for their eggs.  Since a specific number of eggs were hidden of each color some were never found so they will be there as a special treat for the lawn man the next time he does the yard.

 Sunday afternoon was so much fun but by the time we got back to the kids place I was not feeling well at all.  Gary and I got everything packed and ready to head home Monday morning.  He went to bed early and I stayed up for a while with the kids and spent the time visiting and relaxing.

Monday, April 9, it was time to head home.  I woke up not feeling well at all.  Everyone else was now well and it was my time to be sick.  We would have loved to stay longer but just could not at this time so we said our byes and headed out at 5:00 AM.  It never gets any easier leaving the kids but we are so thankful for the time we do get to spend with them.

Our original plan was to spend Monday afternoon and evening with Patty and then head on home Tuesday morning.  But since I was ill I did not want to share my germs with Patty I called her to let her know we wouldn't be stopping which she was thankful for and really did not want me to share my germs with her.  Hopefully Patty will get to come down our way and spend a couple of days with us. 

All in all we had a wonderful time with family and friends and are looking forward to our next trip sometime this summer. 

Our drive home was sunshine all the way!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment