Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Paths to God


Several years ago I did a Bible Study on the Proverbs 31 Woman "The Virtuous Woman." These past couple of days I have been reading about her again so I thought I would share. When reading the Proverbs 31 passage it can make even the most got it together woman feel inadequate and this woman has definitely got it all together and appears to be absolutely perfect. But guess what she isn't, and the scriptures do not dwell on her inadequacies. It is merely a description of a woman who takes care of her household and values her family.
The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain. Proverbs 31:11 (Love your man.)
She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. Proverbs 31:13 (Contribute with a joyful heart.)
She gets up while it is still night; she provides food for her family and portions for her female servants. Proverbs 31:15 (Will be returned to you in the form of respect and honor.)
She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard. Proverbs 31:16 (Be a good steward of what God has given you. Don't be a spendthrift; prepare to take care of yourself.)
She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks. Proverbs 31:17 (Being physically fit is good for the mind and soul. So keep moving.)
She makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in fine linen and purple. Proverbs 31:22 (Look like the godly woman you are. You are God's representative wherever you go; look the part.)
She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her. Proverbs 31:25-28
I encourage each of you to read Proverbs 31. As you are reading think about how her characteristics apply to your life today. I think that you will see that you are not far off from the woman whose children will rise up and call her blessed.
My Proverbs 31 woman was my Mom. She was my example and I think God everyday for giving me such a wonderful Mom.
Who is your Proverbs 31 woman?

2 comments:

  1. My mom too...she was tiredless..so it seems now.I don't know how she did it.Worked at the family store 12hrs a day, 7days a week, 52 wks a year for the first five years,then went to Holidays off, then to Sundays off. All the time sewing clothes for me,sitting up with me when I would have an asthma attack so I could breathe,cooked the meals,all the BIG family get-togethers...And,I don't ever remember her saying she was tired........

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom! Mom you're such an amazing woman and full of so much compassion. You are always there for your family even when you need a much needed break. You are a great motivator and supporter. You have no problem helping anyone in need and you always are such a positive inspiration to all those around. Your family matters and you definitely show that. Your values are strong and you’ve passed them on. I am very blessed to have you as my mom and my daughters mimi. You are my Proverbs 31 woman and I pray that I can be half the mom and God loving woman you are.

    ReplyDelete