Friday, February 8, 2013

He Knows My Thoughts

 
O Lord, Thou hast searched me and known me.  Thou dost know when I sit down and when I rise up: Thou dost understand my thought from afar.  Psalm 139:1-2
 
Yesterday I wrote about "He Knows My Name" and today it will be He Knows My Thoughts."  When I stop and think that God knows everything there is to know about me, even what I am thinking, that makes me wonder why He can love me unconditionally.  You see my thoughts are not always pure thoughts.  When I have been hurt my natural instinct is to strike back.  When I see someone that does not meet the standards I think they should have or be where I think they should be, I become judgmental.   When I see someone that isn't dressed the way I think they should, or wearing too much makeup, or their hair is a mess - I become judgmental.  When I gossip, yes talking about someone to others is gossip, and voice my opinion behind another person's back I tear that person down in front of others.
 
There is an old adage that says, "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me."  That is a lot of bull!  The sticks and stones will leave cuts and bruises but words leave scars that no one can see.  They often leave a hurt the we bury deep down inside us and cause us to put up walls around us to avoid being hurt.  When I was growing up, my Mom, a very wise woman, would always tell us kids that if you can't say anything good about someone don't say anything at all.
 
So gals and guys guard your thoughts.  Ask God to remove any unclean thoughts, words or actions and think only good thoughts.  Easy to do?  No but with God at the center of our life all things are possible and He will always lead you in the right direction. 
 
Search Me, O God
by J. Edwin Orr, 1926
 
Search me, O God,
And know my heart today;
Try me, O Savior,
Know my thoughts, I pray.
See if there be
Some wicked way in me;
Cleanse me from every sin
And set me free.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment